Did you know that brushing your teeth is one of the most important oral health habits you can have for your smile? When was the last time you sought to enhance your tooth brushing skills? At least twice a year, you should do a routine check of your oral health care routine and make adjustments and improvement. This helps safeguard against falling into a routine of simply going through the motions, which can lead to diminished oral health care. Here are some important tips to remember when brushing your teeth:
– Always search for and use toothbrushes and toothpaste that have the ADA Seal of Acceptance or have been approved or recommended by your dentist.
– Make sure you use a good toothbrush that has soft bristles and fits easily into your mouth. The brush head should be small enough to fit in your mouth but large enough to easily reach all areas in an around your mouth for a full clean.
– A worn out toothbrush will not work properly, so try to replace your brush every 3-4 months.
– Avoid sharing toothbrushes with other people, or cross-contaminating them with other objects or toothbrushes. Store in a safe, upright, and clear space.
– Older individuals or people who cannot easily brush their teeth and gums with traditional brushes should look into an alternative cleaning utensil such as an electric toothbrush to make brushing easier.
– Avoid storing toothbrushes in sealed containers for extended periods of time, as they can trap moisture and cause bacteria and mold to grow.
– A toothbrush will not work effectively if it has become contaminated, so be sure to keep your brush clean when not in use.
If you think your pearly whites could use a little extra work and you would like to have a professional exam from our team at Flemington Dental Arts, simply book an appointment with Dr. Guy M. Bennett and the rest of our team at our dentist office in Flemington, New Jersey, by calling us at 908-788-1661. Our dentists look forward to crafting you the smile of your dreams!